Sunday, December 20, 2009

Behind the Name




As part of an introductory post, I would like to explain the blog name "Chasing the Wind". Understanding this will help you understand me and where I am coming from for future posts. The name comes from a biblical reference from the book of Ecclesiastes. I am no learned biblical scholar, but I believe these writings from long ago shed much light even upon our modern day struggles of balance, progress, and purpose. This Old Testament book was written by King Solomon, son of King David, and essentially chronicles his journey of finding the "meaning of life". Being a King and having such resources, Solomon repeatedly attempts to find happiness and meaning in all the avenues in which he could fathom of this world -- all to no avail. "Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." Eccl. 2:11. King Solomon's final conclusion (after much futility and despair) was that there is no lasting happiness or purpose in life without a relationship with the living God.

I believe we are each "chasing the wind" in many aspects of life. I find myself chasing the wind quite often. I do not want to, but the lure of self is strong. As much as I love running, there is a love of mine far greater; Jesus Christ. I believe that a life can have true purpose, meaning, and joy by no other means. I say this not so much as a means of proselytising, but as a means of understanding. I do not intend to interject my "religious" beliefs upon anyone reading, but realize that this is who I am and my faith may bleed through from time to time. Friends, find no judgement, malice, or haughtiness in my words. I am just me and Chasing the Wind.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world, Adam. I look forward to reading what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryon. It's only fitting that the "king of internet ultra world" would leave the first comment on my blog.

    A very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Adam,

    Looking forward to checking in from time to time. I appreciate this entry as it also resonates with me. I've "chased the wind" my fair share of times as well. I look forward to the next time our paths cross. May 2010 be a year of much blessing and success for you and your family.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey CJ. I hope you have a great New Year and I hope to see you on the trails sometime this year.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chasing the wind is all I seem to ever do. It is a never ending pursuit that I hope I never grow tired of.

    Happy New Year to you and Kadra.

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you and Mandi. Hope we can get together soon! Hope you had a good New Year's ride.

    ReplyDelete