Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Snowshoe Breakdown


The annual Whitegrass Snowshoe 5K was this past Sunday, and as always was a great time.  The weather was certainly colder than last year (10 deg F with significant wind chill), but the snow conditions could not have been better.


I had some equipment malfunctions within the first minutes of the race and quickly found myself in the back of the pack.  Kadra and Dan helped me try to get the snowshoe back on, but it was obvious that it was irreparable and that I was just going to have to deal with it.


With about a half-mile to go, the cantankerous shoe finally was done.  The binding completely ripped free from the frame and I hobbled on toward the finish line with the un-clod foot sinking into the snow with every step.  Nearer to the finish line, the fellow shoe followed suit.  I had managed to completely break Dan's snowshoes in one 3-mile circuit (sorry Dan).  I finished 10 minutes slower than last year, but still managed to squeeze into third place.

It's a shame that there aren't more showshoe races in the region. . . they are a great time - if you can figure out how to keep them on!

3 comments:

  1. I think your borrowing days are over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, I think you're right! I think either I've got lead feet or I'm just fatter than I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to come to this race. I even bought a pair of snowshoes for the occasion but I was unable to make the trip due to weather!

    ReplyDelete