Friday, January 29, 2010

Running in Snowshoes?

photos: Joel Wolpert
I had a fun time giving snowshoes a try for the first time last Sunday at the Whitegrass 5K. The race is held at the Whitegrass Cross Country Skiing Center near Davis. It was definitely much harder than I thought it would be. After face planting in my "warm-up", I was sort of dreading the idea of trying to actually run a 5K in the darn things. Luckily I figured them out as the race went on and finally was able to get into a rhythm similar to normal shoe clad running after a mile or so.

Kadra ran as well and had a really good time..... and ran a good time. She is a natural, she just doesn't know it yet.

The rest of the photos can be found HERE and results HERE. If you're looking for something to break the monotony of winter, give snowshoes a try and be sure to visit the mystical lands of Whitegrass if you find yourself in Canaan Valley.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like it will not be long before you are going to Kadra for snowshoeing advise. I wonder how she will stand up to all of that pressure? In looking at the pictures, it looked like everyone had such a great time. I think I saw Dan's lower face with a little special one. Have a great snowy weekend. About 4 inches in Johnson City so far. You will probably get 4 feet!!! Don't you just love snow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick- We didn't get 4' thankfully, but we probably got another 5/6" last night. I'm definitely looking forward to spring.
    We're not going to be able to make the trip to Holiday Lake unfortunately. We're planning on being at PL though, so we can complain about the heat at that point. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! that looks like SO much fun! I have always wanted to run in snowshoes!! I was in Vermont this past week and was SO close to buying myself a pair. now it looks like another snow storm this weekend!!! I REALLY should of gotten them it seems!!! either that or my own pair of XC skis! this snow is really making it hard to be consistent. ( at least with GOOD miles-- I have plenty of slow, slippy, slidey miles logged:oP)

    happy running!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big fun! I've been snowshoeing most weekends this winter, although I admit that most of it has been walking and not running, and I love it! The snow conditions definitely make a huge difference, in that the 5 weekends I've been out, I'd only consider 2 of them really 'runnable' (and I still opted to walk most of it). But regardless, it's my new favorite cross training activity.

    ReplyDelete