Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Winter Running: Yaktrax vs Screws





VS.







The more than usual amount of snow that we have received this year in WV has given me the extended opportunity to test out my devices for effective snow running. In the past, I've ran most winters in just my regular running shoes with the occasional day or days of slapping on the yaktrax. This is the first year that I've ever been tempted to try screws in my shoes. So what's the verdict? Well, I have to say I kind of like the screws. Running with screwed shoes you don't have some of the negatives associated with Yaktrax (snow clumping, elastic cords breaking, coils getting displaced, etc.). Yaktrax still have a place in my running arsenal, mainly running on packed snow, but the screwed shoes seem to work much better when running on partially clear roads or trails with snow/ice patches interspersed.

I'm interested to see what everyone else does to make winter running more functional. So what works for you in the winter?

9 comments:

  1. I'm a screw guy, but I use the square-head ones (looks like you've got round-headed ones in the photo). The edges of the square heads make all the difference for me on icy uphill patches on the roads for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah those shoes I had to use the round heads b/c that's all they had at the hardware store in 1/2" sheet metals? They still work well, but I'm going to try the squared off ones...of course it could just quit snowing and be spring early; I'd be just fine with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just gave my pair of YaxTrax to a friend. I used them a few times. Snow would ball up under the arch of my foot. I would frequently have to stop and scrape snow away.
    I like the screws (square head) because it helps with the ice. Nice to be able to run downhill knowing your shoes will grip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    Same problem I've always had w/ YT's. The only only problem with screws is that you can't take them off as easily if for some odd reason you feel traction devices are no longer needed/negatively effecting your running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed your blog, I was wanting to run Highlands Sky this summer never done an ultra running race I've been running and have a training plan but I'm looking for advice from someone with experiance can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. JJ,
    I'd be more than happy to help you. I enjoy helping someone do their first ultra almost more than running one myself. Just send me a direct e-mail (it's in my info) and we'll get the ball rollin'.
    p.s.
    You picked a great race for a first!

    ReplyDelete
  7. JJ, There is none better than Adam to help you out with advise on getting through your first ultra. I agree with Adam that you have picked a great race with Highland Sky to run your first ultra. Dan certainly puts all of the tools out there for you to be successful in your pursuit. Good luck and I will see you in June. Rick

    ReplyDelete
  8. I generally prefer screws. I did have good luck recently with the Yaks when it was really cold and part of my run was on road. I carried the Yaks to the trail and then put them on. With the cold the snow didn't stick to them much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eric- I'm certainly starting to like the screws more and more. I ran up the mountain this morning with a fresh coating of snow and a solid ice base. I was amazed how well the screws stuck both up and down. Much less to go wrong than w/ the Yaks.

    ReplyDelete