Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sharing the Journey



Today I had the pleasure of sharing a run. Company while running is a rarity for me, but I gladly accepted the request when two local college runners home over break called to see if I wanted to run.

I forgot how quickly time passes, even in the dead of winter, when you have someone to share the time with (or commiserate with). I led the guys on one of my standard morning routes. A simple run of eight miles, a mix of paved and dirt roads, and a good creek crossing. Although I have done this very loop over a hundred times, I had forgotten how enjoyable it is to share a run of "mine" with others that are running it for the first time with fresh eyes for the scenery and terrain. Today was different; mundanely cold, snowy, and blustery, but different. It was crossing a frozen creek, revealing an unknown side-road, and sharing a part of me that made it different.

During this morning's run I had a thought; this is why I love directing races. Directing a race is much more than months of organizing, clearing trail, ordering schwag, and making preparations. Directing a race is about sharing part of you; a trail and mountain that is intimately known and challenging runners to reach new heights upon it. I absolutely love seeing people reach new limits in life and running. The runner that is beaten down by their pursuit yet persists, crossing the finish line with tear-filled eyes only to match my warm handshake or hug with a priceless "thank you"....It means so much and is probably one of the most meaningful experiences for me in all of running. Don't believe me? Try it!

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post, adam!! I agree with you about race directing! It's an experience that truly is a labor of love and sharing a part of yourself with others. Glad you had a good run today! I don't think the cold or snow is going to subside anytime soon! ( at least for another week or so!) Cheers!!

    jenny:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first ultra! You should certainly be proud....now it's time for another one. How about Beverly, WV in August?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam, I have been running since 1972 and I have been very fortunate to spend a great deal of those running years with others. It is wonderful and you find yourself actually looking forward to getting together. As far as the race directing goes and the benefits that you receive, I am so glad you feel the way you do. Without you, we would not have one of my favorite races, Cheat Mountain. Jenny did a great job completing her first ultra last weekend at Sasquatch under pretty tough conditions. I will work on Jenny. Just think, Cheat Mountain could be her first 50 miler!!! Rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know when I started Cheat Mtn, I didn't think it was a good race to encourage first timers or folks new to the sport to do. After two years I now think it's a great race for first timers. The terrain and elevation are fairly mild, temps cool, and the night keeps you from running too fast. As long as a person can handle the darkness, it's a great race to experience the distance for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that Cheat Mountain is an excellent first time 50 miler for someone. I personally think it is an excellent 50 miler for anyone. It is a misleading course. Maybe it is because most of it is in the dark. With the amount of rock roads, you would think it is faster. Maybe it is because the single track sections are so narrow and they are all run in the dark. I don't really know what it is about the course, but it is mystical. About the time you get tired of a rock road, there is a section of single track and then when you begin thinking you need a break, there is a rock road again. It is a great race for the first timer and also for the fast and slow veterans. Cheat Mountain just seems to have everthing. As Jenny (and Beth) continue to listen to me talk and they continue to read, I am convinced that they will be hooked. January 11th is when registration opens. Guess what is going in my mailbox! Rick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words Rick. I'm glad you'll be back for your third finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam, You are certainly welcome and very deserving too. I believe that there are two races where I have run all of the year's. Your's and Annette's New River 50k. Both races stand at two years. I wonder if I can be like Tom Green at Masochist and have run all 25 years. Something to think about. I also have heard through the grapevine that you are going to have extra special awards for the ten year finisher awards. In eight years, I will find out if the grapevine is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick,
    Tom's streak is certainly something to aspire towards. I will most likely have something special for you and others at even 5 years (moderately so), but yes 10 years will certainly get you something special. What? I guess you'll just have to put in 10 years to find out. Nothing could be better than the accumulated memories of 10 years on the trail though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 10 years! Something to aspire towards. I will have to think of something for you as the RD for 10 years. We will worry about 25 years a little on down the road. Maybe Tom can give us some pointers on reaching the 25 year milestone.

    ReplyDelete